The Manse

    One of the church's major concerns has been the comfort of its ministers. The Manse property east of the church had a log cabin, built in 1820, and occupied by William Covington from Massachusetts. Mr. Covington was a harness maker. The shop was located on North Washington Street where the second oldest jail was built. The leather required six months of tanning and was a necessary commodity of the time. 

     On December 27, 1926, the white frame house facing North Main Street and at the rear of the church was completed and furnished for Rev. W.L. Lathan. It became the living quarters for succeeding ministers. Rev. C. Randolph Terrell was the last minister to live in the house. The Manse constructed in 1926 is still owned and maintained by the church and is presently used as the Youth House.

Removing the Old Manse/Youth House

    In November of 2015, The church decided to remove the manse from the property in order to build a new building containing a recreation Hall, kitchen, class rooms, and other needed facilities. Here are some photos of the demolition process.

Manse ready for final demolition after much repurposing by Habitat,
Hospice, and Rutherford County Visual Arts Guild.


Many historic items were recovered prior the demolition and preserved in a shadow box!